Cystocalm 4g Sachets Pack of 6
contains sodium citrate which used to treat a number of problems.
It is an osmotic laxative, which induces a laxative effect (stimulating stool production).
It is used to relieve constipation and works (when used as an enema for rectal use) by causing water to be drawn into the lower bowel (colon) to increase the water content and volume of stools, making them softer and easier to pass, relieving constipation. It also used for other purposes when taken by mouth, such as in adult women for the relief of symptoms due to cystitis (inflammation of the bladder owing to an infection of urine in women) where it reduces the acidity of urine, and before general anaesthesia to prevent stomach acid aspiration (inhalation of stomach acid into the airways), which may happen during a surgical operation or in pregnant women during childbirth.
In general, this drug is used:
- to relieve constipation,
- to treat symptoms of mild cystitis,
- to prevent stomach acid aspiration during anesthesia.
Benefits of being on this drug can include:
- regular bowel movements,
- relief from the painful symptoms of cystitis,
- reoccurring inhalation of acid stomach contents during surgery.
Use Cystocalm to:
- relieve constipation,
- clear the bowel before surgery, childbirth or bowel investigations (when used as an enema).
On occasion, your doctor may prescribe this medicine to treat a condition, not on the above list. These conditions could be:
- Oral use: preventing inhalation of acid stomach contents during surgery or relief of discomfort during mild cystitis in adult women.